Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Retirement

September 28th was my last day of work at Clearwater Analytics in downtown Boise. I am now officially a stay-at-home mama and am LOVING it! I get to be with my kiddos all day and we have been creating our new little routine. I can't believe it's already been over a month.

My "retirement" date has been a long time coming. I started my first job out of college when Bryce was six months old and Skye was starting grad school at Oregon State. We knew I would work for a little while, but that our end goal was for me to be in the home to raise our kids when and if the opportunity would arise. Well, when Skye got his new job this past February, it finally became a possibility for us to look into transitioning me into the home (and us off two incomes). A few months after Marion was born, we mapped out a plan and said we'd shoot for October (even though we weren't really sure if that was enough time). 

Once we set the date, we began to see blessing after blessing financially and October seemed to sneak up on us. My company is very fast-paced and I knew that I needed to be prepared to leave my job as soon as I told them, but at the same time I wanted to be ready to stay for two weeks, if that's what they wanted. I decided to tell my boss on September 27th, which was a Thursday. By the afternoon, he said they could have me transitioned out by Friday (the next day). I knew that leaving that quickly was a possibility, but still thought I most likely would be around for another week or two, so I was a little shocked. 

This picture by Bryce has been hanging on the wall by my desk at work for a few months. Just in case you're wondering, I am the one on the far left, then Brandon has the spiky hair, then there's Skye, Bryce, and Marion.

Like I said, I have been anticipating my "quit day" for a long time, so I thought when I said goodbye and walked away from work that Friday, I would be SO excited and let out a sigh of relief. I was caught off-guard when I didn't feel that way. Instead, I felt very anxious and nervous for my new full-time responsibility and sad to say good-bye to some great friendships and work experience. 

I am happy to report that my anxiety for this big change only lasted a few days and then, the excitement really set in and my attitude changed from, "Am I really better for my kids than our amazing babysitter?" (okay, maybe I still ask this question) to "Wow! This is awesome! I LOVE being able to be with my kids and set our schedule." I really LOVE my new job! And, so far at least, I don't miss getting up and going to work one bit.    

I took this picture two days before I gave my two weeks. Notice Marion's first two teeth and her first little bump on the head. Who wouldn't want to be home with these sweet cheeks... 

...and these crack-ups? (didn't know they knew this song, until I caught them singing it, haha!)


No comments:

Post a Comment