Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Texas Trip - Day 1

Skye gave me the most amazing birthday present ever! My birthday was the beginning of April, and he bought a ticket for Brandon and me to go to Texas!!! Also, thanks Mom and Dad and anyone else who pitched in for the birthday gift. Brandon was our token "under two" child. AKA...He was free to fly. His birthday was April 23rd, so we were coming to the end of that window. We went April 14-17th and it was an incredible weekend. It was so nostalgic for me, since I hadn't been "home" to Texas for almost 2 years! So, I just soaked everything in...the house, the pictures on the walls, the trees, and all the new growth in McKinney. We got in late Thursday night, even later than expected due to a thunderstorm causing us to re-route to Oklahoma City for twenty minutes before getting the clearance to continue to DFW. Brandon did really well on the first two flights, but once we stopped in Oklahoma City and he was woken up from a deep sleep, he was out of sorts and cried quite a bit. Poor guy. But, we made it to Dallas and Dad picked us up and basically tucked us into bed. 

Brandon slept on a trundle bed next to my bed. In the early hours of the morning, he crept into bed with me and we both slept in a bit. We woke up to Mom and Sam whispering and peeking in the door, trying to see when we were going to wake up, so they could see Brandon! He was sound asleep when we got in the night before. Mom had toys set up in the room, including a kid's tee pee with these balls in it. Brandon LOVES balls and basketball is his favorite, so he was a happy camper from the get-go. Uncle Sam and two new balls to play with...what more could you want?! 

Dad and Sam made sure the yard looked pristine and beautiful for us and it did! Everything was so green from all of the Spring rain. 
 Brandon loved playing and running with Texan.
 He especially liked hitting the ball to Texan using Papa's baseball bat. He would proudly and enthusiastically say, "I whack it!"
 Uncle Sam, Brandon, and Papa

There was no lack for wrestling and climbing with Uncle Sam around.
 Then, we went inside and had smoothies that Dad made. Brandon and Dad's Smoothie mustaches:
 Later on, we went to Towne Lake. It was one of those nostalgic moments...thinking about runs, parties, BBQs, feeding the ducks, riding the paddle boats, picnics, and all of the other Towne Lake memories that I have.  It was beautiful and green and sunny outside. Sam and I ran twice around and a teeny bit more to make it 2.5 miles. We wimped out after that. It was so much fun running with my littlest (okay, my TALL) bro!
 While Sam and I ran, Brandon fed the ducks, until he got too scared. I can totally understand; they are aggressive ducks, haha!
 The playground and swings, especially, were a hit. Papa, Nona, and Brandon even made a new friend.
 After Towne Lake, Sam and I got dropped off at L.A. Fitness to workout and shower, while Nona and Papa took Brandon to the church gym to play basketball. He showed off his basketball skills and was in heaven. Seriously, he LOVES basketball.

Next stop was the new Cabela's in Allen! No, Brandon (and I) were not spoiled at all on this trip...


 Dad bought some candied nuts and yummy fudge for us all to enjoy. Brandon is a chocolate lover and didn't want to share the fudge :) 
 Nona sharing chapstick with Brandon. Chapstick is another one of his favorites currently. He will find it in the house (usually in my bedroom) and will put it in his pocket while he's walking around, and then, you'll see him stop, pull it out, and put it on whenever he feels like it; it's so funny.
 To top off the day, we saw Rachel and Justin and their cute apartment in Dallas. Then, we all went to dinner at another favorite...Spring Creek BBQ. Their warm rolls are delish and they have Blue Bell ice cream with their cobbler!!!
Brandon with two of his uncles, Sam and Justin. Can you tell he was having a great time? What a happy boy.
 When we got home, Meredith was sweet enough to come out to the house to see us. We had fun catching up and chilling just like the "old days", haha! Seriously, we're 7 years out of high school now. That's just crazy!

3 comments:

  1. I love your whole family! Also, you guys are seriously attractive. I'm so glad I got to see you while you were here! Please come back soon, Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren!! I was so glad to see you, too and to catch up. I'll post the pics I have with you soon :) And, we'll all be there in August for Spencer's "homecoming" (or whatever) August 14th, so I hope to see you then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww how much fun!! so jealous you got to go back to tx. I love your fam. I cannot believe how big everyone is now. I remember sam wearing too big of cowboy boots to church one time when he was like 4 or 5. craziness. looks like ya'll had a blast!

    ReplyDelete